Monday, March 8, 2010

Week 7

Over break I played plenty of Rock Band. In my seventh week, I have progressed deeply into my career mode and have noticed it is becoming increasingly harder at each stage of the game. One of my friends has a drum set at his house and this game motivated to learn from him. I asked my friend to teach me how to play a real drum set, instead of the plastic one that has been a part of my virtual reality. After actively practicing the drums for two days straight over the break, I realized it is much harder and different to play a real instrument, than the ones provided in Rock Band. On a real drum set there are more drums to be played, different pitches depending where you hit the drum, and you definitely need a sense of rhythm. While Rock Band has definitely improved my hearing for music (increased awareness of rhythm and tones) I am not nearly experienced enough to play the drums yet. I am glad that Rock Band inspired me to try out a real drum set and experience true active learning, but I will need a lot more practice if I wish to truly become a rock star. I plan to play my friend's drums for the rest of the semester, with his guidance, in order to improve my musical skills and appreciation for this instrument.

No comments:

Post a Comment